Yuzo Araki practises primarily in commercial litigation and dispute resolution. He has advised and appeared on behalf of clients in a wide range of commercial disputes in superior court jurisdictions, and is experienced in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
He also practises administrative law in the Federal Court for judicial review proceedings and in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for merits review proceedings.
Prior to joining Russells in 2017, he worked as a senior litigator with a large national law firm Dentons (also known as Gadens) and as in-house litigation counsel for top 20 ASX listed company, Suncorp Group Limited.
Yuzo is also a specialist reserve legal officer, with the rank of Squadron Leader, with the Royal Australian Air Force, where he practises in all aspects of military law, including administrative inquiries, criminal and disciplinary proceedings in military tribunals and operations/public international law.
He speaks Japanese fluently.
Yuzo’s commercial litigation experience includes:
- negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct claims for a major bank against property valuers for damages ranging from $2.5m to $15m
- defending damages claims on behalf of major banks and financial institutions over allegations of breach of contract, duress, misrepresentation, misleading and deceptive conduct, undue influence and unconscionable conduct
- defending $4m damages claims over misleading and deceptive conduct for a major international property developer
- defending $10m damages claims on behalf of a city council by property developers over infrastructure charges
- defending directors from allegations of contravention of the Corporations Law by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- pursuing recovery of encashed surety bonds from building and construction developers and guarantors
- pursuing specific performance of contracts
- litigating commercial lease disputes
- building and construction disputes
- property resumptions
- litigating joint venture and partnership disputes
- patent infringement and trade mark disputes
- breach of confidentiality and restraint of trade disputes
- removal of caveats
- minority shareholder oppression cases
- urgent injunctions and freezing orders
- corporate insolvency, voidable transaction claims and bankruptcy cases.
Government and Administrative Law
Yuzo’s experience further extends to:
- judicial review proceedings in the Federal Court
- merits review proceedings in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- appeals to the Federal Court on questions of law
- representing clients involved in government regulatory investigations.